Emerson’s Little Building
Named for Boston businessman John Mason Little, the modern Gothic-styled Little Building opened in 1917 as an office building and at 12 stories, was considered a skyscraper in Boston. Emerson College purchased the building in 1994 and a year later converted it into a dormitory and dining hall.
Shoring for New Building Design
It is now undergoing a two-year renovation and new construction project to replace the existing façade, renovate the dining hall and student social space, and to upgrade and increase student rooms adding 290 new beds to the existing 750. Marr Scaffolding Company’s Shoring Division has contracted with both Suffolk and NASDI Demo to install shoring for the removal and replacement of existing beams, columns and walls to accommodate the new design.
Daniel Marr & Son is furnishing the structural steel and installing 100,000 sf of new steel and metal decking with over 1,000 pieces of steel erected by hand in the building’s interior.
A major component of the work includes replacing the exterior façade and DM&S has contracted with BPDL (Beton Prefabrique) to erect over 1,400 new UHPC (Ultra High-Performance Concrete) panels made to replicate the elaborate historic façade.
Work for all the Marr entities will continue through the summer.